2017 SUMMER GLOW CAMP
Training of Trainers (ToT counselors) Dates: August 18th - 19th, August 27th - 28th *Subject to Change.
Camp Dates: August 20th - 26th , August 29th - September 4th *Subject to Change.
Location: Buckswood School in Tskneti
Application Due Date: June 1st
ABOUT GLOW Georgia
GLOW is a NGO dedicated to building leadership among girls in Georgia. It is supported by American Peace Corps Volunteers. In Georgia, its history dates back to 2003. GLOW Summer Camp will be two different week long camps with education on diverse topics such as self-esteem, gender roles, and leadership development for 50 girls ages 14-17 for each camp. Coursework will range from lectures to small group discussions and girls will get hands-on practice through team-building games and activities. Upon completion of the camp, girls will be expected to participate in our “Taking GLOW Home” initiative, where they will share lessons from camp and/or execute projects to improve their communities.
COUNSELOR JOB DESCRIPTIONS
GLOW counselors’ responsibilities will begin with reviewing and scoring camper applications. Counselors will be trained on GLOW’s priorities in camper selection and how to use our grading rubric in advance. All content of the camp will be delivered in Georgian. We would like to have 7 female counselors, each of whom will work with an American counterpart. The participants will be divided into “home groups” of 7-8 girls each with a pair of counselors as the leaders of that “home group”. Session plans and materials will be provided for all sessions, but counselors are responsible for reviewing the material ahead of time. Counselors and a paired PCV will also have the responsibility of leading at least one large group session for all participants. Counselors will receive camp material a month before camp and will select these large group sessions at that time. Counselors will be responsible for preparing and presenting the large group session, but PCVs would be happy to help wherever needed. A PCV from the curriculum development team will contact counselors prior to camp to discuss the details of their large group sessions. Counselors will also be responsible for participating in and helping to translate during morning exercises and to help facilitate evening activities. Please see the attached sample camp schedule for more information.
In addition to the responsibilities of planning and leading sessions, all counselors are expected to be enthusiastic and to be positive role models for the girls. They will also need to work with camp administrators to enforce camp rules. Upon completion of the camp, counselors will continue their role as mentors and support their home group with each campers ’“Taking GLOW Home” projects. Counselors will be required to check in with their campers periodically after camp to encourage them, help them develop their projects, and to report completed projects back to GLOW Georgia. This initiative is an essential part of GLOW and will encourage girls to use what they have learned at camp to become leaders in their communities.
Prior to camp:
- Select camp participants (read applications, rank based on certain criteria, contact selected applicants)
- Communicate with selected girls about camp logistics i.e. transportation, pickup times
- Review small group sessions in counselor handbooks in preparation for camp
- Prepare materials for large group sessions that you are assigned and meet with Curriculum committee
- Be prepared for your small group sessions
- Conduct large group sessions as assigned and assist other counselors with facilitating their sessions as needed
- Have a positive attitude and be a good role model for participants
- Enthusiastically help lead morning exercises and afternoon and evening activities as assigned
- Follow and enforce program rules (see below)
- Pass out, collect, and manage daily comments sheets from campers
- Conduct a lights out check in the campers’ dorm as assigned
- Encourage and check in on campers about their “Taking GLOW Home” projects
- Counselors are responsible for keeping in touch (via email, Facebook, or phone) with their home group of 8 campers at least once a month for the first three months after camp. Counselors will send campers the Project Report form for campers to complete and send to the Taking GLOW Home intern.